Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Election

If you’re firmly committed to voting for Donald Trump, there is no need for you to read any further. Your choice is your choice, and history has proven that no facts, no opinions, no memes, and no articles are likely to change your mind. And so I will not try and, if you choose to continue reading, I would appreciate it if you would not bash my support of a different candidate. I personally have worked hard to remain at least polite through everything, and I think I deserve the same consideration.
For you undecideds, those who are vacillating, and those who are considering a third-party candidate, let me tell you why you should vote for Hillary Clinton. Not just against other candidates, but for someone who has the potential to be a great president for the United States.
It seems that, in every presidential election, I have heard people say, essentially, “Well, neither candidate is perfect, but so-and-so seems to be a slightly better choice.” And some years I would agree; presidential candidates seem evenly matched on maturity, experience, and the desire to listen to both the people and to wise and expert counsel on the tough stuff (like math and science). I try to vote for the person who I think will do the best job for the nation as a whole: leaders who will promote unity, build the economy, protect the earth that God has given us, and work toward justice in the US and abroad. I look to people who have experience, who have potential for growth, and who have a servant’s heart. The president has a tough job, and if he or she isn’t in it to serve, it’s not a good fit.
I love and admire Bernie Sanders for many of these reasons, and I appreciate that he carries on, continuing to do what he can to serve the people of the United States. That’s also why I am a supporter of Hillary Clinton. She cares deeply about this country and the people in it, and has the skills and experience to be a good, maybe even great, president. What do I like about her? Lots of things.
She’s a woman. I love that in a leader. Women lead in different ways than men. That doesn’t make her weak; it makes her strong in different ways. She leads from a place of collaboration and compassion. These are gifts, not liabilities. She understands that, together, we are stronger.  
She’s a listener. I love that in a leader. She pays attention to what’s going on in the hearts and minds of the people, and she’s willing to listen to experts. Once she’s listened, she responds thoughtfully. She’s also willing, after due consideration, to change her mind on issues. We call this growth. It’s not a bad thing.
She’s a Christian. I love the way she witnesses to her Methodist upbringing in the way she treats people and sees policy. Those who know the presence of a higher power tend to think big-picture and to remember that it’s not all about them. I think that Clinton carries this in her bones; she can talk the talk, but she’s really good at walking the walk. In most things, I see her as kind and gracious. (And a caveat: many cannot reconcile Clinton’s right-to-choose position on abortion with Christian faith, and I appreciate that concern. That said, I don’t think legislation will end abortion, and even if it could, I don’t think the president has the power to make it happen. This always seems to me an issue designed to distract us from the real work of the presidency. We’ve had several pro-life presidents since Roe v. Wade, and as far as I know, not one of them has made its reversal a priority. It’s a campaign wooing tactic, and it works.)
And now back to Clinton. I like her because she endures. I love that in a leader. She’s been scrutinized on every single step she’s ever taken and criticized by people no matter what she’s done. From her marriage to her cooking skills to her wardrobe…none of which have a damn thing to do with what kind of a leader she is…she’s been dodging stones cast on her every day of her life. Even when it comes to the other stuff—big issues like Bengazi or deleted emails—endless investigations (where she has always shown up, answered questions, and complied with everything asked of her) have revealed no wrongdoing. I think if she had some things to do over, she might do them differently. But in spite of all the muckraking—the name calling, cheap shots, half-truths, and outright lies—even with ALL of that, she still wants to serve the American people. She doesn’t need the presidency: she’s had a rich, full life. The presidency is not a trophy for her, but a way for her to put her considerable gifts to work for all of us.
She understands politics, and that’s important in a leader. She knows the law, and she understands the job of the president; she will be able to hit the ground running. I know that politics is a dirty word for some, and that sometimes we say we’d like to clean house, start over, get rid of career politicians. The truth is, in general we don’t choose to vote them out. Do we need reforms? Definitely. Lots of things in this country are broken. I hope that this election is a wake-up call to all of us on our own deep pain and dysfunction. And I hope that President Clinton will lead the way to helping us change, so that we can have a better future together.

This election has been the duel of the sound bite, and feels to me that we have lost sight of the long game.  We’ve focused on some stuff that doesn’t matter: on the most recent bit of dirt, or perceived dirt, on either major candidate. We need to stop that and concentrate on the road ahead. The internet is a wealth of information and misinformation; be informed, and don’t just rely on one source or one friend’s Facebook post. Look at the long game. I don’t want to go back to some nostalgia-fueled concept of when America was “great”; I want to go forward, together, toward even further greatness. Hillary gets that. She gives me hope. That’s why, without apology, I’m with her.

No comments:

Post a Comment